Small Egg Basket
- Ira Blount
- This small egg basket is woven from a combination of wood splints and round reeds. A God’s Eye woven design connects the rim and the handle, which is covered with a plain weave. Artist Ira Blount’s eye for color is clearly visible in his combination of light, dark, and reddish natural hues. The variation in color, as well as reed and splint size and shape, gives the basket depth and texture.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- late 20th-early 21st Century
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- wood splint, reed, dye
- 6 11/16 × 6 3/4 × 7 11/16 in. (17 × 17.1 × 19.5 cm)
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.