Smithsonian Call Center Volunteers engage and inspire visitors over the phone. When visitors call the main information line looking to plan memorable and exciting experiences, volunteers provide useful information about Smithsonian exhibitions, activities, services, and more. Call Center Volunteers also assist the Office of Visitor Services staff with various projects related to visitor engagement. If you are looking for a volunteer role that allows you to speak with people from around the world and learn about new and exciting things happening at the Smithsonian, this position is for you!
Dynamic and friendly individuals 18 years or older who have a desire to speak with visitors and to share their enthusiasm for the Smithsonian. Also looking for people who...
- show strong customer service skills
- are enthusiastic and outgoing
- enjoy working with diverse people
- have outstanding computer skills in using web-based resources
- possess fantastic listening skills
- have a clear speaking style on the telephone and are fluent in English
- Foreign-language skills are a plus.
Applicants must be able to volunteer for a minimum of one year, once a week. Shift times 4 hours in length. At this time, we are only placing volunteers on shifts Monday - Friday.
Smithsonian Institution Building in the Castle, 2nd Floor, Office of Visitor Services
1000 Jefferson Drive, SW, Washington, D.C. 20560
Please note, the work area is not wheelchair accessible and can only be accessed by stairs.
The training program consists of an at-home orientation to the Smithsonian, 1 day of in-person classroom training, and on-the-job training including self-guided museum and gallery tours. Our next training for this program will take place on Saturday, September 23, 2017.
- Complete an online application
- Interview with a staff member to ensure mutual fit
- Receive tentative placement and initiate a background check
- Attend and complete online and in-person training
- Start volunteering!
Visit our application page to start the process and submit an application.
For more information:
Contact Abbey Earich, Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator, at EarichA@si.edu or 202.633.5260 for more information.
To view all current volunteer opportunities at the Smithsonian, visit our application page.