All Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo are closed due to the federal government shutdown.
Smithsonian volunteers play essential roles in sharing our rich collections, exhibitions, research, and educational programming with the public. We are always on the lookout for dynamic, curious individuals who want to be a part of the Smithsonian team. Each year, more than 6,000 volunteers work onsite at our facilities and another 7,500 participate in projects online.
We invite you to explore our many volunteer opportunities, and to discover the right one for you.
Current volunteer openings
Use the links below to view a list of our current volunteer opportunities and to find the online application. Current volunteers and applicants may log in to their profile to apply for additional opportunities, see their schedules, and more.
Engage with Smithsonian visitors!
You can share your knowledge and love of learning with visitors to Smithsonian museums and the zoo. With guidance from staff experts, our more than volunteers advise trip planners, lead tours, give gallery talks, offer fun hands-on experiences, and more. You’ll meet people of all ages from across the U.S. and around the world and help them make memories of a lifetime.
Consider which roles and locations might fit your interests.
- Discovery Stations (Air and Space Museum and Udvar-Hazy Center)
- Docent Programs (Smithsonian museums)
- Education and Outreach (Natural History Museum)
- Education Volunteer Program (Zoo)
- Event Monitor Program (Smithsonian Associates)
- Museum Information Desk Program
- Public Programs (Postal Museum)
- Smithsonian Call Center (Castle)
- Visitor Services Program (Air & Space Museum and Udvar-Hazy Center)
- Visitor Services Volunteer Program (National Museum of African American History and Culture)
Prefer to contribute behind-the-scenes?
Smithsonian volunteers can serve in many important, non-public roles, working onsite at one of our facilities or even online from home. Join our staff in caring for collections, collecting research data, program administration, and other critical functions.
- Behind-the-Scenes (Smithsonian Museums)
- Citizen Science
- Digital Volunteers
- Office Volunteers (Smithsonian Associates)
- Special Events and Zoo Support (Zoo)
Spark the interest of people from all over the world by participating in short-term seasonal opportunities.