Passage of Act to Establish the Smithsonian Institution
Social Media Share Tools
- Smithsonian Institution Establishment of
- 29th Congress, Session 1, 1846
- Chronology of Smithsonian History
- Image is of Act establishing the Smithsonian Institution, August 10, 1846, Smithsonian Institution Archives, negative number 96-1652.
- Marc Rothenberg, ed. The Papers of Joseph Henry, The Princeton Years, January 1844 - December 1846, vol. 6. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, p. 463.
- Years of debate over the terms of James Smithson's 1826 bequest to the United States result in the passage of the "Act to Establish the 'Smithsonian Institution,' for the Increase and Diffusion of Knowledge among Men," Public Law 76, 29th Congress, 1st Session.
- Contact information
- Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
- August 10, 1846
- Smithsonian Archives - History Div
- Smithson Bequest
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Usage conditions apply
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.