Seat from Griffith Stadium
- Manufactured by
- American Seating Company, American, founded 1886
- Used by
- Griffith Stadium, 1911 - 1965
- Subject of
- Homestead Grays, American, 1912 - 1950
- A single seat from Griffith Stadium in Washington, D.C. The seat is wood and metal painted blue, with remnants of green underneath. There is a brass plaque mounted on center of interior seat backing that reads: [GRIFFITH STADIUM / 1920-1961 / HOME OF THE WASHINGTON / SENATORS]. The proper right leg has text imprinted into it that reads: [PAT. NO 2246160 / MADE / IN / U.S.A.]. The proper left leg has text imprinted into it that reads: [3490 / X / LEV].
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
- ca. 1940
- Object number
- Restrictions & Rights
- No Known Copyright Restrictions
- Proper usage is the responsibility of the user.
- seating furniture
- paint on wood , metal and brass (alloy)
- H x W x D (Seat Up): 30 1/2 × 22 1/2 × 20 1/4 in., 37 lb. (77.5 × 57.2 × 51.4 cm, 16.8 kg)
- H x W x D (Seat Down): 30 1/2 × 22 1/2 × 22 1/2 in., 37 lb. (77.5 × 57.2 × 57.2 cm, 16.8 kg)
- Place used
- Griffith Stadium, Washington, District of Columbia, United States, North and Central America
- See more items in
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Collection
- Tools and Equipment-Sports and Recreational
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- African American
- Local and regional
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
Thanks to Verizon for support of this Our Shared Future: Reckoning with our Racial Past project.
We also suggest that users:
- Give attribution to the Smithsonian.
- Contribute back any modifications or improvements.
- Do not mislead others or misrepresent the datasets or its sources.
- Be responsible.