In the event of a government shutdown, the Smithsonian will remain OPEN through at least Saturday, October 7, by using prior year funds. Check here for updates.
SCM Marchant Model 10-CMA Calculating Machine
- SCM Corporation
- This full-keyboard, non-printing electric proportional gear calculating machine has a metal frame painted gray and ten columns of white and gray color-coded plastic digit keys, Each column has nine keys. To the right of the digit keys are diverse function keys. To the right of these are ten white keys for setting the multiplier. Right of these are two levers. Under the digit keys are a non-lock key and a carriage return key. Under the function keys is a lever. Over the function keys is another lever. Behind the digit keys are ten windows that show the number set up.
- A movable carriage behind the entry register has a 20-digit result register, a row of ten buttons numbered from 1 to 10, and an 11-digit revolution register. The band of vinyl trim around the center of the frame is called a “vinyl channel” in documentation for the machine. There are four cork feet.
- A mark on the front of the machine reads: SCM MARCHANT. A metal tag on the bottom reads: 10CMA 759928. A paper tag on the bottom lists several patents, the most recent of which is: 3017088. The machine is marked on the back SCM (/) MARCHANT.
- See 1979.3084.71.
- Currently not on view
- Credit Line
- Gift of SCM Corporation, Business Equipment Division
- ca 1965
- ID Number
- accession number
- maker number
- catalog number
- Object Name
- calculating machine
- Physical Description
- metal (overall material)
- cork (overall material)
- plastic (overall material)
- overall: 23.4 cm x 42 cm x 41.5 cm; 9 7/32 in x 16 17/32 in x 16 11/32 in
- place made
- United States: South Carolina, Orangeburg
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Mathematics
- Calculating Machines
- Science & Mathematics
- National Museum of American History
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)