One Dollar Bill, Apollo 11
- U.S. Bureau of Engraving
- This United States one dollar bill holds the signatures of the three Apollo 11 astronauts (Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Buzz Aldrin) in addition to one other signature, that of a certifying official from the National Aeronautic Association (NAA), all on the front of the bill. This memento of the historic first human landing on the Moon in July 1969 was part of the official process of certifying the flight.
- Before human spaceflights, the NAA had the astronauts autograph dollar bills, witnessed by the NAA official for the flight. The bills were then placed aboard the spacecraft. After the mission, recovering the identifiable bills served "as the basis for certification of the identity of the astronauts on each of the flights."
- The NASA Johnson Space Center transferred this bill to the National Air and Space Museum in 1976.
- Credit Line
- Transferred from NASA - Johnson Space Center
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- PERSONAL EQUIPMENT-Miscellaneous
- 2-D - Unframed (H x W): 15.6 × 6.5cm (6 1/8 × 2 9/16 in.)
- Storage: 20.3 × 11.4 × 2.5cm (8 × 4 1/2 × 1 in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)