Model, D7 Klingon Battle Cruiser, "Star Trek"
- Paramount Pictures Inc.
- This model of a Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser was used in the filming of the television series "Star Trek," which aired on NBC from 1966-1969. In the original series, this is the standard fighter spacecraft of the warlike Klingon Empire. According to the Star Trek story line, Starfleet first makes contact with the Klingon Empire in the year ("stardate") 2151. As a result, the first Klingon Battle cruiser appeared on television in 1968, during the series' third season.
- Art designer Walter Matthews "Matt" Jefferies designed this model to be visually different from Starfleet ships, with a greener hull color, long "neck," and bulbous front bridge. Jefferies donated this model, used in distance shots, to the Smithsonian Institution in 1973.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Walter M. Jeffries
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- MODELS-Science Fiction
- Overall, possibly resin on a wooden core, with two red and one white plastic beads to simulate ship's lights; pine wood stand with steel screws and padding on back.
- Storage: 81.9 x 57.2 x 23.5cm (32 1/4 x 22 1/2 x 9 1/4 in.)
- Overall: 74.3 x 49.5 x 18.4cm (29 1/4 x 19 1/2 x 7 1/4 in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)