Great Hall of Smithsonian Castle Opens to Public
- Henry, Joseph 1797-1878
- Metropolitan Mechanics' Institute
- Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
- Chronology of Smithsonian History
- Engraving of the Great Hall in the Smithsonian Institution Building or Castle, c. 1857. Smithsonian Institution Archives, negative number 91-17967.
- Source cited is the earliest known instance of the use of "Great Hall" to describe the ground floor of the Smithsonian Institution Building. A logbook containing the minutes of the Metropolitan Mechanics Institute in located in the Smithsonian Institution Archives.
- W.W. Turner to J.R. Bartlett, January 31, 1855, J.C. Brown Library, Brown University (copy JHP 24500)
- The Great Hall of the Smithsonian Institution Building is opened to the public, occupied by the Metropolitan Mechanics' Institute fair. Secretary Joseph Henry is the president of the Institute.
- Contact information
- Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
- February 8, 1855
- Smithsonian Archives - History Div
- Smithsonian Institution Building--Early History
- Special events
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Usage conditions apply