All Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C., including the National Zoo, and in New York City continue to be closed to support the effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Girl with Ice Cream Cone
- Wayne Thiebaud, American, b. Mesa, Arizona, 1920
- University of Chicago, Illinois
- Joseph H. Hirshhorn Bequest Fund, Smithsonian Collections Acquisition Program and Museum Purchase, 1996
- Exhibition History
- ALLAN STONE GALLERY, New York. Recent Paintings by Wayne Thiebaud, 24 March-11 April 1964.
- STANFORD ART MUSEUM, Stanford University, CA. Thiebaud: Figures, 26 September-31 October 1965, pl. 5, no. 3. TOUR: ALLAN STONE GALLERY, New York, April 1966.
- PASADENA ART MUSEUM, CA. Wayne Thiebaud, 13 February-17 March 1968, no. 23, p. 14, 56. TOUR: WALKER ART CENTER, Minneapolis, MN, 1 April-5 May 1968; SAN FRANCISCO MUSEUM OF ART, CA, 23 May-23 June 1968; THE CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER, Cincinnati, OH, 8 July-11 August 1968; UTAH MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH, Salt Lake City, UT, 22 September-27 October 1968.
- PHOENIX ART MUSEUM, Phoenix, AZ. Wayne Thiebaud Survey: 1947-1976, 10 September-17 October 1976, no. 34. TOUR: OAKLAND MUSEUM, Oakland, CA, 19 November 1976-12 January 1977; UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ART GALLERIES, Los Angeles, CA, 31 January-6 March 1977; DES MOINES ART CENTER, Des Moines, IA, 5 April-15 May 1977.
- HIRSHHORN MUSEUM AND SCULPTURE GARDEN, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. "The Hirshhorn Collects: Recent Acquisitions 1992-1996," 4 June-7 September 1997, no. 23, p. 22, ill. p. 19.
- PHILLIPS COLLECTION, Washington, DC. Wayne Thiebaud, 10 February-13 May 2001 (organized by the California Palace of the Legion of Honor).
- ACQUAVELLA CONTEMPORARY ART, INC. “Wayne Thiebaud: A Retrospective” 23 October-30 November 2012.
- Published References
- CAMPBELL, LAWRENCE. In "Reviews and Previews," Art News 63 (May 1964) p. 10.
- "Wayne Thiebaud: Photographs of his Work," Motley 3/1 (UC Davis: Winter 1965-66) p. 8.
- PLAGENS, PETER. Sunshine Muse: Contemporary Art on the West Coast (New York: Praeger Publishers. 1974) pl. 3, p. 67.
- SHAW-EAGLE, JOANNA. "'Recent Acquisitions' at the Hirshhorn Paints Broad Sweep," Washington Times (20 July 1997), p. D4.
- LEWIS, NICOLE. "Here and Now: Art," Washington Post (9 August 1998) ill.
- PLAGENS, PETER. "Two Pops: Edward Ruscha and Wayne Thiebaud," Art Forum XXXVIII/10 (Summer 2000) table of contents ill.
- UNSIGNED. The Phillips Collection: News & Events (January/February 2001) table of contents ill.
- O'SULLIVAN, MICHAEL. "Thiebaud: Sugar and Spice," Washington Post Weekend (16 February 2001) p. 61 ill.
- Credit Line
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Joseph H. Hirshhorn Bequest Fund, Smithsonian Collections Acquisition Program, and Museum Purchase, 1996
- Accession Number
- Oil on canvas
- 48 1/8 x 36 1/4 in. (122.2 x 92.1 cm)
- Pop Art (American)
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined