Girl with Ice Cream Cone
Social Media Share Tools
- Wayne Thiebaud, American, b. Mesa, Arizona, 1920–2021
- University of Chicago, Illinois
- Joseph H. Hirshhorn Bequest Fund, Smithsonian Collections Acquisition Program and Museum Purchase, 1996
- Exhibition History
- ALLAN STONE GALLERY, New York. Recent Paintings by Wayne Thiebaud, 24 March-11 April 1964.
- STANFORD ART MUSEUM, Stanford University, CA. Thiebaud: Figures, 26 September-31 October 1965, pl. 5, no. 3. TOUR: ALLAN STONE GALLERY, New York, April 1966.
- PASADENA ART MUSEUM, CA. Wayne Thiebaud, 13 February-17 March 1968, no. 23, p. 14, 56. TOUR: WALKER ART CENTER, Minneapolis, MN, 1 April-5 May 1968; SAN FRANCISCO MUSEUM OF ART, CA, 23 May-23 June 1968; THE CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER, Cincinnati, OH, 8 July-11 August 1968; UTAH MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH, Salt Lake City, UT, 22 September-27 October 1968.
- PHOENIX ART MUSEUM, Phoenix, AZ. Wayne Thiebaud Survey: 1947-1976, 10 September-17 October 1976, no. 34. TOUR: OAKLAND MUSEUM, Oakland, CA, 19 November 1976-12 January 1977; UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ART GALLERIES, Los Angeles, CA, 31 January-6 March 1977; DES MOINES ART CENTER, Des Moines, IA, 5 April-15 May 1977.
- HIRSHHORN MUSEUM AND SCULPTURE GARDEN, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. "The Hirshhorn Collects: Recent Acquisitions 1992-1996," 4 June-7 September 1997, no. 23, p. 22, ill. p. 19.
- PHILLIPS COLLECTION, Washington, DC. Wayne Thiebaud, 10 February-13 May 2001 (organized by the California Palace of the Legion of Honor).
- ACQUAVELLA CONTEMPORARY ART, INC. “Wayne Thiebaud: A Retrospective” 23 October-30 November 2012.
- Published References
- CAMPBELL, LAWRENCE. In "Reviews and Previews," Art News 63 (May 1964) p. 10.
- "Wayne Thiebaud: Photographs of his Work," Motley 3/1 (UC Davis: Winter 1965-66) p. 8.
- PLAGENS, PETER. Sunshine Muse: Contemporary Art on the West Coast (New York: Praeger Publishers. 1974) pl. 3, p. 67.
- SHAW-EAGLE, JOANNA. "'Recent Acquisitions' at the Hirshhorn Paints Broad Sweep," Washington Times (20 July 1997), p. D4.
- LEWIS, NICOLE. "Here and Now: Art," Washington Post (9 August 1998) ill.
- PLAGENS, PETER. "Two Pops: Edward Ruscha and Wayne Thiebaud," Art Forum XXXVIII/10 (Summer 2000) table of contents ill.
- UNSIGNED. The Phillips Collection: News & Events (January/February 2001) table of contents ill.
- O'SULLIVAN, MICHAEL. "Thiebaud: Sugar and Spice," Washington Post Weekend (16 February 2001) p. 61 ill.
- Credit Line
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Joseph H. Hirshhorn Bequest Fund, Smithsonian Collections Acquisition Program, and Museum Purchase, 1996
- Accession Number
- Oil on canvas
- 48 1/8 x 36 1/4 in. (122.2 x 92.1 cm)
- See more items in
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Collection
- Pop Art (American)
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.