Social Media Share Tools
- Joseph Stella, American, b. Muro Lucano, Italy, 1877–1946
- Estate of the artist
- Rabin & Krueger Gallery, Newark, NJ
- Robert Schoelkopf Gallery, New York, to 23 July 1962
- Joseph H. Hirshhorn, New York, 23 July 1962-17 May 1966
- Gift of Joseph H. Hirshhorn, 1966
- Exhibition History
- GALLERIA ANGIPORTO, Naples. Mostra di Arte del Pittore Giuseppe Stella, May 1929.
- WHITNEY MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART, New York. Joseph Stella, November-December 1963, no. 58.
- HIRSHHORN MUSEUM AND SCULPTURE GARDEN, Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C. "Inaugural Exhibition," 4 October 1974-15 September 1975.
- HIRSHHORN MUSEUM AND SCULPTURE GARDEN, Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C. Joseph Stella: Selected Works from the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Collection, 12 May-17 July 1983, no. 20. TOUR: COLUMBUS MUSEUM OF ART, Columbus, OH, 11 February-25 March 1984.
- WHITNEY MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART, New York. Joseph Stella, 21 April-9 October 1994, p. 271, no ill.
- Published References
- STELLA PAPERS. microfilm no. 347, frame 40 ff.
- WHITNEY PAPERS. microfilm roll no. N689, frames 92, 109-110, 443.
- JAFFE, IRMA B. "Joseph Stella: An Analysis and Interpretation of his Art," unpublished Ph.D. dissertation (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University, 1966) I, p. 186, 328, no. 320, II, p. 380, no. 145.
- JAFFE, IRMA B. Joseph Stella (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1970) p. 189, pl. 85.
- JACOBS, JAY. "Collector: Joseph H. Hirshhorn," Art in America 57 (July-August 1969) ill. p. 62.
- BAUR, JOHN I.H. Joseph Stella (New York: Praeger, 1971) p. 21, 51, pl. 79.
- JACOBS, JAY. "Quality as Well as Quantity: Joseph H. Hirshhorn," in Lipman, Jean ed. The Collector in America (New York: Viking, 1971) ill. p. 88.
- LERNER, ABRAM ed. The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1974) p. 751.
- ZILCZER, JUDITH. Joseph Stella: The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Collection (Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1983) no. 20, p. 46.
- COLUMBUS MUSEUM OF ART. Columbus Museum of Art: March 1984 Calendar, ill. under "Tuesday 13."
- FINCH, CHRISTOPHER. American Watercolors (New York: Abbeville Press, 1986) fig. 261.
- Credit Line
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Gift of Joseph H. Hirshhorn, 1966
- (c. 1927)
- Accession Number
- Gouache and pencil on paper
- 41 X 27 5/16 IN. (103.9 X 69.4 CM.)
- See more items in
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Collection
- Early American Modernism
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.