ALSRC, Apollo Lunar Sample Return Container, Apollo 11
- Union Carbide, Nuclear Division
- The Apollo Lunar Sample Return Container (ALSRC) was an aluminum box with a triple seal manufactured by the Nuclear Division of Union Carbide. It was used on Apollo lunar landing missions to preserve a lunar-like vacuum around the samples and protect them from the shock environment of the return flight to earth. An aluminum mesh liner helped absorb impacts. Prior to flight, each box was loaded with sample container bags and other sample containment devices. The "rock box" was then closed under vacuum so that it would not contain pressure greater than the lunar ambient pressure. On the moon, while samples were being loaded, the seals were protected by a Teflon film and a cloth cover which were removed just prior to closing the box. Two ALSRC's were used on each mission.
- This ALSRC was used in July 1969 during Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing mission, by astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. The sample-laden container was opened under controlled conditions in the Lunar Receiving Laboratory at the Houston Manned Space Center. It carried 21.8 kg (47.7 lbs) of lunar material from the Sea of Tranquility.
- It was transferred from NASA to the Smithsonian and placed on display in 1970, soon after its historic mission.
- Alternate Name
- Apollo Lunar Sample Return Container (ALSRC), Apollo 11
- Key Accomplishment(s)
- First Rock and Soil Samples Returned from the Moon
- Brief Description
- The Apollo Lunar Sample Return Container (ALSRC) is an aluminum box used on the Apollo lunar landing missions to preserve and protect lunar samples for the return flight to Earth. This ALSRC was used in July 1969 during Apollo 11, the first human lunar landing.
- Credit Line
- Transferred from NASA, Johnson Space Center.
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- 7075 AA aluminum case, 2024 aluminum alloy mesh lining
- Overall (Closed): 9 1/4 in. × 1 ft. 2 in. × 1 ft. 7 in., 19.4lb. (23.5 × 35.6 × 48.3cm, 8.8kg)
- 3-D: 48.3 × 29.8 × 20.3cm, 8.8kg (1 ft. 7 in. × 11 3/4 in. × 8 in., 19.4lb.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- ALSRC, Apollo Lunar Sample Return Container, Apollo 11
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- GUID (Original Record Link)