33c Babe Ruth single
Social Media Share Tools
- Ashton-Potter USA (Ltd)
- Babe Ruth, American, 1895 - 1948
- The Postal Service issued the Legends of Baseball Classic Collection pane of twenty 33-cent commemorative stamps in Atlanta, Georgia, on July 6, 2000. The stamps, designed by Phil Jordan of Falls Church, Virginia, and illustrated by Joseph Saffold of Savannah, Georgia, went on sale nationwide July 7, 2000.
- Working from historic baseball photographs, Joseph Saffold created the stamp art with Prismacolor pencils and airbrushed acrylic and oil paints. Verso text, describing significant achievements in the baseball careers of each player, appears on the back of the stamp pane liner.
- With this Classic Collection stamp pane, the Postal Service, in partnership with major league baseball teams, honored twenty legendary baseball stars. Taken from the Major League's 100 nominees for the All-Century Team, they occupy a unique and important place in the history of our national pastime. Ten players appearing on this pane went on to become members of the All-Century Team: Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, Lefty Grove, Rogers Hornsby, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, and Cy Young.
- All of the individuals pictured on the stamp pane are members of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Two Negro Leagues greats are included, Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige, who had brief Major League careers. Also appearing on the stamp pane are Roberto Clemente, Mickey Cochrane, Eddie Collins, Dizzy Dean, Jimmie Foxx, George Sisler, Tris Speaker, and Pie Traynor.
- Ashton-Potter (USA), Ltd., printed 225 million stamps in the offset process.
- Postal Bulletin (June 01, 2000).
- LEGENDS OF BASEBALL
- Babe Ruth
- 33-cent mint single
- Issued July 6, 2000
- Credit line
- Copyright United States Postal Service. All rights reserved.
- July 6, 2000
- Object number
- Postage Stamps
- paper; ink (multicolor); self-adhesive
- Height x Width: 1 9/16 × 1 3/16 in. (3.97 × 3.02 cm)
- New York
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Postal Museum Collection
- Scott Catalogue USA 3408h
- National Postal Museum
- Contemporary (1990-present)
- U.S. Stamps
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Usage conditions apply
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.