Richard Panek to Sign Copies of His Book, The 4 Percent Universe, at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum Jan. 22 and 23

January 21, 2011
News Release

Richard Panek will sign copies of The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality Jan. 22 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the National Air and Space Museum’s main store in Washington, D.C., and at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center’s store in Chantilly, Va.,

Jan. 23 from 2 to 4 p.m. Priority will be given to visitors who purchase the book at a Smithsonian store.

Only 4 percent of the universe consists of ordinary matter—that which makes up life, our surroundings and astronomical objects such as stars and planets. The remaining 96 percent is classified as “dark matter” and “dark energy.” Panek, a journalist and award-winning syndicated fiction writer, chronicles the scientific mission to unravel the mystery of the unknown through comprehensive research and in-depth interviews with some of the key researchers undertaking this challenge.

The book is available for $26. Smithsonian Members who purchase it at a Smithsonian store are eligible for a 10% discount.

The National Air and Space Museum is located at Sixth Street and Independence Avenue S.W. in Washington. The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center’s museum store is located at 14390 Air and Space Museum Parkway in Chantilly, Va.

For more information, the public may call the museum’s store at (202) 357-1387. A complete listing of Smithsonian book signings is available at

# # #