National Air and Space Museum
6th St. & Independence Ave., SW
This gallery highlights land-based aviation during World War II and features fighter aircraft from each of 5 countries.
- North American P-51D Mustang: an outstanding fighter plane used in every theater of war
- Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero: maneuverability and range were excellent; the Japanese navy used it in almost every action throughout the war
- Supermarine Spitfire Mark VII: the legendary British fighter used to defeat the Germans in the Battle of Britain, along with the Hurricane
- Messerschmitt Bf 109G: the principle Luftwaffe fighter; major opponent of the Spitfires and American bombers
- Macchi C.202 Folgore: the most successful Italian fighter to see extensive service; used in the African campaign and in Italy and Russia