The Smithsonian will gradually return to its traditional schedule with all but two Smithsonian museums open seven days a week by Memorial Day, May 30. The National Air and Space Museum on the National Mall remains closed for renovations until the fall. The Arts and Industries Building, temporarily open through July 6, will maintain a reduced schedule.
Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo have been operating on modified schedules for the past two years due to COVID-19. The Smithsonian Institution Building (“The Castle”), the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia, the National Zoo and the National Museum of Natural History are already operating seven days a week.
Remaining museums will return to a schedule of seven days a week on the dates below.
Monday, April 4
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- National Museum of American History
Friday, April 8
- National Postal Museum
Monday, May 30
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum (located in New York City)
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- National Museum of African Art
- National Museum of the American Indian (Washington, D.C., and New York City locations)
- National Museum of Asian Art
- National Portrait Gallery
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Renwick Gallery
Museums will continue to operate on modified schedules until these dates; a current schedule of days and hours for all Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo is available.
# # #