As a Visitor Information Specialist Volunteer, you will engage with visitors and inspire them to plan memorable and exciting experiences across the Smithsonian. Volunteers provide essential services to the Smithsonian by providing a warm welcome and useful information to our visitors about Smithsonian exhibitions, activities, services, and more. If you’re looking for a volunteer role that allows you to meet people from around the world, learn about new and exciting things happening at the Smithsonian, and be at the center of the action, this position is for you!
Dynamic and friendly individuals 18 years or older who have a desire to talk with visitors and share their enthusiasm for the Smithsonian and all that it has to offer. Also looking for people who...
- show excellent customer service skills
- are approachable and outgoing
- enjoy working with diverse people
- have strong computer skills
- Foreign-language skills are a plus.
Applicants must be able to volunteer for a minimum of one year, once a week or once every other weekend. Regular shift times are 4 hours in length.
Visitor Information Specialists serve at Information Desks across the Smithsonian, including:
- African Art Museum
- American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery
- American History Museum
- American Indian Museum
- Hirshhorn Museum (contemporary art)
- National Museum of Asian Art
- Postal Museum
- Smithsonian Visitor Center
- Renwick Gallery (American craft)
Training is provided for all Visitor Information Specialists through the Office of Visitor Services and is a prerequisite to service. Training for the next class of Visitor Information Specialists will begin in March 2023.
We are now accepting applications for this assignment!
- Complete an online application
- Interview with a staff member to ensure mutual fit
- Receive tentative placement and initiate a background check
- Attend and complete online and in-person training
- Start volunteering!
Please contact Abbey Earich at EarichA@si.edu with questions about this volunteer assignment.