LIMA - Legal Issues in Museum Administration
Each spring since 1973, OGC co-sponsors a three-day course with the American Law Institute – Continuing Legal Education (ALI-CLE). The course is attended by museum administrators, trustees, and attorneys.
The Office of General Counsel invites you to attend the fifty-first annual Legal Issues in Museum Administration conference, to be offered both in-person in Philadelphia, PA and virtually as a live webcast from May 17 - 19, 2023.
Why You Should Attend
The exceptional curriculum, distinguished faculty, and unparalleled networking events are hallmarks of this signature conference - a must-attend event for museum professionals for over 50 years!
This course delivers focused instruction on core legal and business issues facing museum professionals. In-house counsel, museum directors, other museum and nonprofit professionals, and outside counsel attend each year, gaining knowledge that informs their decisions and strategies for years to come. The conference often sells out, so register early to secure your spot!
The impact and professional significance of this course is best described by recent attendees:
- "This course was extremely helpful - the breadth of topics is fantastic and informative! I learn new details on issues we already deal with, and topics to be aware of. The course materials are great and will be very useful to return to in our day-to-day practice. It is also a wonderful opportunity to speak with other practitioners in the museum field about common issues and best practice."
- "This is always the most efficient course/conference I attend, with extremely practical, timely and useful explanations. LIMA is highly beneficial to any museum professional."
What You Will Learn
This year’s conference will focus on resilience and reimagination. As the pandemic abates, we will explore how museums embrace new ways of engaging with audiences, donors, collaborators, communities, and cultural property owners, informed by the social justice movement, climate deterioration, civic unrest, and economic uncertainty. Featured sessions include:
- Issues with Joint Ownership of Collections
- Social Media Collaborations
- Political Engagement
- NFT Case Studies in the Arts and Cultural Spaces
- Fine Arts Insurance and Loan Agreements
- Institutional Contracts All Museums Should Have
Legal Issues in Museum Administration 2023 (ali-cle.org)
Course material will be available in electronic format for download the week before and during the course. Print materials will not be distributed. All registrants are advised to bring laptops or tables to the course to view course materials, including updates.