The Engine Department operated and maintained the Leviathan’s complex mechanical plant, which not only propelled the ship, but provided electricity and steam for the ship’s vast ventilation, illumination, sanitation, communication, heating, cooking, cleaning, and pumping needs.
In 1923, the newly renovated Leviathan underwent extensive sea trials to test her equipment and show her off to government and business officials. In honor of a record-breaking day’s run at high speed, naval architect William Francis Gibbs ordered medals for the entire crew. This extra, blank Engine Department medal was saved by long time crewmember and engineer Marcus P. Iverson. The reverse reads, “Presented / to / [blank] / in recognition of / service on world’s / record run of 687 miles / in 25 hours averaging / 27.48 knots / June 22, 1923.”