Waves at Matsushima
Social Media Share Tools
- Tawaraya Sotatsu 俵屋宗達 (fl. ca. 1600-1643)
- Previous custodian or owner
- Kobayashi Bunshichi 小林文七 (ca. 1861-1923) (C.L. Freer source)
- Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919)
- To 1906
- Bunshichi Kobayashi (circa 1861-1923), Boston, San Francisco, Tokyo, and Yokohama, to 1906 
- From 1906 to 1919
- Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunshichi Kobayashi in 1906 
- From 1920
- Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
-  See Original Screen List, S.I. 123-124, L. 115, pg. 34, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
-  See note 1.
-  The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles Lang Freer
- 17th century
- Edo period
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Ink, color, gold, and silver on paper
- H x W (overall [each]): 166 x 369.9 cm (65 3/8 x 145 5/8 in)
- Related Online Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- See more items in
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Collection
- On View
- Freer Gallery 05: Rinpa Screens
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- Edo period (1615 - 1868)
- Japanese Art
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.