Toy, Play Set, Small Stuff Space Shuttle, Tomy Shuttle Main Bay with Cargo Doors
- Tomy Toys
- This main bay and vertical stabilizer component is a part of a buildable plastic Space Shuttle playset made by Tomy Toys of Japan. Rather than creating a unified orbiter, the set separated the vehicle into different components that could be assembled in various ways. The result was a versatile toy that could incorporate some or all of the pieces in play. The white main body and cockpit echo the original coloring and general shape of the actual reusable space vehicle. The blue plastic payload bay doors open in a way that includes the vertical stabilizer as a part of them. In addition, the distinctive delta wings are composed of separate pieces that can be added or not. The set also included separate engines and open cockpit pieces, a rover with a magnetic winch, two dish antennae, and two astronaut figures with a magnetic jet backpack.
- Toys like this set represent the many ways that children could learn about the Space Shuttle Program through play. Whether or not the toy represented all aspects of the appearance and capabilities of an orbiter accurately, children could learn to name and identify winged and wheeled spacecraft as Space Shuttle orbiters.
- Valerie Neal donated the toy to the Museum in 2008.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Valerie Neal.
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- MEMORABILIA-Popular Culture
- Plastic, decals, steel, adhesive
- 3-D (Fully Assembled): 30.5 x 20.3 x 16.5cm (12 x 8 x 6 1/2 in.)
- 3-D (Shuttle main bay with cargo bay doors): 18.4 x 9.5 x 14cm (7 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 5 1/2 in.)
- Country of Origin
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC
- Moving Beyond Earth
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)