Star Wars R2-D2 collection box
- Lucasfilm Ltd.
- The R2-D2 collection box is metal with a vinyl “skin” that makes it take on the appearance of a droid character in the film Star Wars. Transferred from the United States Postal Service (USPS) in October 2007, this collection box is signed by the director of Star Wars, George Lucas, and the Postmaster General, John E. Potter. A metal plaque adhered to the front of the collection box reads “UNITED STATES / POSTAL SERVICE” with the service’s eagle symbol on the left and “STAR WARS” in film type on right. The text below the two signatures states “March-June 2007 / The U.S. Postal Service installed over 400 R2-D2 mailboxes in cities throughout the United States / and on U.S. Military bases around the world.”
- March 2007 marked the thirtieth anniversary of the release of the Star Wars film. To honor the event, the USPS in collaboration with Lucasfilm Ltd, released the 400 round-top mail collection boxes across the country (this box was installed at Union Station, Washington, DC).
- R2-D2 was chosen to have its likeness placed onto collection boxes because of his shape, which is similar to that of the mailboxes and because it “embodies the trust and dependability for which the Postal Service is renowned” according to a press release from USPS.
- (C)Lucasfilm Ltd. and the United States Postal Service (R)
- http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2007/sr07_009.htm (Accessed September 21, 2009)
- Credit line
- (C)Lucasfilm Ltd. and the United States Postal Service (R) ****This object has restrictions on reproduction and publication, please see Registrar or file******
- Object number
- Mail Processing Equipment
- metal; acrylic
- Height x Width x Depth: 50 × 22 1/4 × 23 1/2 in. (127 × 56.52 × 59.69 cm) Height x Width x Depth (Crate dimensions): 157.5 x 81.3 x 78.7 cm (62 x 32 x 31 in.)
- Place of Use
- District of Columbia
- See more items in
- National Postal Museum Collection
- National Postal Museum
- Contemporary (1990-present)
- Mail Processing
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)