Space Food, Applesauce, Friendship 7
Social Media Share Tools
- This partially consumed tube of applesauce was issued to astronaut John Glenn to eat aboard his Friendship 7 mission on February 20, 1962. At the time of this mission, it was unknown if astronauts would be able to swallow anything while weightless, and Glenn's ability to swallow the applesauce proved that it was possible.
- NASA transferred this food container with Friendship 7 and its contents to the Museum in 1963.
- Credit Line
- Transferred from NASA
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- PERSONAL EQUIPMENT-Food & Food Accessories
- Metal, velcro, plastic
- 3-D: 22.9 x 5.7 x 1.9cm (9 x 2 1/4 x 3/4 in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.