Solar Wind Composition Experiment
- NASA - Johnson Space Center
- Solar Wind Composition Experiment, for which this artifact was a test article, collected samples of the solar wind for analysis on Earth. This experiment was performed on Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, and 16. It consisted of an aluminum foil sheet, 1.4 meters by 0.3 meters, that was deployed on a pole facing the sun. At the conclusion of the mission astronauts returned the foil to scientists for analysis of the chemical composition of the embedded solar wind.
- Credit Line
- Transferred from NASA-Johnson Space Center
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- Approximate: 140 x 23cm (4ft 7 1/8in. x 9 1/16in.)
- Tube: 13 7/8" x 1 7/16" diam.
- Panel: 54 1/2" x 11 3/4"
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)