Thursday, Jan. 20, the Smithsonian's National Zoo and D.C.–area museums will delay opening until noon.
Smithsonian's 131st Birthday Party
- Hofmeister, Richard K
- Arts and Industries Building (Washington, D.C.)
- Smithsonian Institution Office of Public Affairs
- Original film available in SIA Acc. 11-009.
- Featured in the "Torch," September 1977.
- In the rotunda of the Arts and Industries Building. Caption from Torch: "Visitors to the 1876 exhibition on Wednesday, August 10, celebrated the Smithsonian's 131st birthday with cookies, punch, and free carousel rides outside. It was the anniversary of the day in 1846 when President James Polk signed legislation establishing the Smithsonian Institution."
- Cite as
- Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 371, Box 02, Folder: September 1977, Image No. 77-10604-12
- Repository Loc.
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- August 10, 1977
- Local number
- SIA RU000371 [77-10604-12]
- Restrictions & Rights
- No access restrictions Many of SIA's holdings are located off-site, and advance notice is recommended to consult a collection. Please email the SIA Reference Team at email@example.com
- No Copyright - United States
- Black-and-white photographs
- Physical description
- Gelatin silver prints; 8 x 10;
- Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Museum visitors
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org