Buffalo Behind Smithsonian Institution Building

  • -thumbnail 1
  • -thumbnail 1
Category
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
For another view, see Neg. # 9730.
Summary
Two buffalo are in a paddock in the South Yard behind the Smithsonian Institution Building. They were acquired in 1886 by the United States National Museum's Department of Living Animals, which eventually became the National Zoological Park. This photograph, taken sometime between 1886 and 1889, predates the founding of the NZP which was established by Act of Congress in 1889.
Contained within
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 30A, Folder: 19
Contact information
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Author
Unknown
Subject
Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
United States National Museum Dept. of Living Animals
South Yard
National Zoological Park (U.S.)
Restrictions & Rights
No restrictions
c. 1886-1889
Standard number
8008A or MAH-8008A
Topic
American bison
Animals
Buffalo
Grounds
Place
United States of America, District of Columbia, Washington, Southwest, South Yard
Physical description
Color: Black and White; Size: 4w x 3h; Type of Image: Animal, candid; Medium: Photographic print
Smithsonian Archives - History Div
Type
Photographic print
Animal, candid