Groundbreaking of the New Anacostia Museum

image for Groundbreaking of the New Anacostia Museum
Category
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
Featured in the Torch, July 1985
Summary
Ceremonial groundbreaking at 1901 Fort Place, S.E., Washington, D.C., in May 1985, for the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum (AM), renamed the Anacostia Museum in 1987. In 1995 the Museum was renamed Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture. After the Smithsonian launched its new National Museum of African American History and Culture, the Museum was renamed Anacostia Community Museum in 2006. Left to right: Museum Historian Louise Hutchinson (AM), Robert Stanton (National Park Service), John Blake (chair of AM board), Ann King (former president of Fort Stanton Citizens Association[FSCA]), James Mayo (ANM exhibit supervisor), Addie Cook (FSCA president), AM Director John Kinard and Secretary Robert McCormick Adams. The museum opened in the Carver Theater building in 1967.
Contained within
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 371, Box 4, Folder: July 1985
Contact information
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Topic
Secretaries
African Americans
Groundbreaking
Museum buildings
New Museums
Secretariats
Smithsonian Institution--Employees
Museum directors
Smithsonian Archives - History Div
Restrictions & Rights
No restrictions
Author
Anderson, Rhawn
Subject
Adams, Robert McCormick 1926-2018
Blake, John
Hutchinson, Louise Daniel
Kinard, John 1936-1989
King, Ann
Mayo, James (Jim)
Stanton, Robert
Cook, Addie
Anacostia Community Museum
Anacostia Neighborhood Museum
Physical description
Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Event; Group; Medium: Photographic print
1985
Type
Photographic print
Event
Group
Standard number
95-1212