Carver Theater, First Home of the ANM

image for Carver Theater, First Home of the ANM
Category
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
Featured in the Torch, September 1977. A copy can also be found in Record Unit 371 Box 2 Folder September 1977. See also negative #90-13510 for a different view.
Summary
The Carver Theater, before its renovation for the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum, located on Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave in Anacostia. The Museum opened in September 1967 and remained at this location until April 1987, when it moved to its present location, 1901 Fort Place, S.E., Washington, D.C., and renamed Anacostia Museum. The museum is now known as the Anacostia Community Museum.
Contained within
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 371, Box 2, Folder: September 1977
Contact information
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Topic
African Americans
Buildings--Repair and reconstruction
Carver Theater
Museum buildings
Theaters
New Museums
Museums
Smithsonian Archives - History Div
Restrictions & Rights
No restrictions
Author
Unknown
Subject
Anacostia Community Museum
Anacostia Neighborhood Museum
Physical description
Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Exterior; Medium: Photographic print
1967
Place
Washington (D.C.)
Type
Photographic print
Exterior
Standard number
92-1790