Anacostia Museum Building

image for Anacostia Museum Building
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
Exterior walls of the Anacostia Museum's new building at 1901 Fort Place, S.E., Washington, D.C., which opened May 17, 1987 next to its laboratory-research center built in 1975. The new building is approximately 10 blocks from the Museum's former location and was developed by the architectural firm of Keyes Condon Florance. In 1995 the Museum was renamed Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture. After the Smithsonian launched its new National Museum of African American History and Culture, the Museum was renamed Anacostia Community Museum in 2006.
Contained within
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 9558, Box 1, Folder: John R. Kinard Oral History Interviews and Record Unit 95, Box 34, Folder: 5A
Contact information
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520,
Restrictions & Rights
No restrictions
Standard number
89-4080-2A or 89-4080.2A
Phillips, Charles
Anacostia Community Museum
Anacostia Neighborhood Museum
Keyes Condon & Florance
Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture
Museum buildings
New buildings
Washington (D.C.)
Physical description
Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Architectural; Medium: Photographic print
Smithsonian Archives - History Div
Photographic print