Corcoran Gallery of Art Drawing

image for Corcoran Gallery of Art Drawing
Category
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
Original negative number is a National Archives and Records Administration number.
Summary
A drawing showing the exterior of the original Corcoran Gallery of Art at 17th and Pennsylvania Avenue. The building was designed by architect James Renwick, Jr., and built in 1859. In 1972, the building was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution, and named the Renwick Gallery of Art. The National Collection of Fine Arts, now the Smithsonian American Art Museum, with the additional gallery space, devoted the gallery to American creativity in crafts, design, and decorative art.
Contained within
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 34, Folder: 24
Contact information
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Restrictions & Rights
No restrictions
c. 1875
Standard number
SIA2008-2353 or 273-MHW-83
Subject
Renwick Gallery
Corcoran Gallery of Art
National Collection of Fine Arts
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Corcoran Gallery of Art Early History
Topic
Drawing
Art museums
Museum buildings
SI Buildings
Place
Washington (D.C.)
Physical description
Number of Images: 1 ; Color: Black and White ; Type of Image: Drawing ; Medium: Architecture; Exterior
Smithsonian Archives - History Div
Type
Exterior
Drawing
Architectural drawings