Aerial of Ft. Pierce

images for Aerial of Ft. Pierce
Category
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
The image is located in the Mary Rice Oral History Interview which is part of the National Museum of Natural History's Centennial Interview Collection.
Summary
Aerial of the Ft. Pierce Marine Station. In 1971, the Fort Pierce Bureau, a marine research facility in Florida, was established as a separate bureau under the Smithsonian Assistant Secretary for Science. In 1982 the facility became known as the Smithsonian Institution Marine Station at Link Port, and was then administered by the National Museum of Natural History. In April 1995, the Smithsonian entered into an agreement with the MacArthur Foundation for the purchase of property near the Fort Pierce Inlet with access easement to the Indian River Lagoon for the purpose of relocating its facilities and program of research to a land-based laboratory. In 1998, the Station was renamed the Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce, reflecting its new location. The overall mission of the Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce is support and conduct of scholarly research in the marine sciences, including collection, documentation and preservation of south Florida's marine biodiversity and ecosystems, as well as education, training, and public service.
Contained within
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 9622, Box 1, Folder: Mary Rice Oral History
Contact information
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Topic
Marine biology
Marine ecology
Marine sciences
Fort Pierce, Florida
Laboratories
Smithsonian Archives - History Div
Restrictions
No restrictions
Subject
Smithsonian Marine Station
National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)
Physical description
Number of Images: 1 Color: Color ; Size: 8w x 10h ; Type of Image: Aerial; Exterior ; Medium: Photographic print
c. 1995
Place
(Fort Pierce, Florida)
Florida
Type
Exterior
Aerial
Landscape
Standard number
SIA2010-1065