Notes by Caspar Cronk and George List in booklet (12 p. : ill.) inserted in container.
Some of these tracks relate to Buddhism or Jangrism.
Tracks 201-204 are performed by Tibetan refugees living in Nepal.
Instruments used on this recording: Damyan: lute-like; Damaru (Dalu): hourglass drum; Tiboo: bell; Tabla: drum; Couteau citari: ankle bells; violin: the ordinary European variety.
Notes list copyright date of 1964.
Recorded in Nepal in 1959.
Related materials may be found in the Moses and Frances Asch Collection, also held by this repository. Related materials may include correspondence between the studio, producers, and/or performers; original cover art designs; original production materials; business records; and audiotapes from studio production.
101. Nepali Love Song / Purna Prasad Sercham
102. Prayer Chant / Darjung
103. Song of Tsering / Tsering
104. Ancient Takali Prayer Chant / Tan Prasad Serchan. Accompong
105. Song of Rejoicing / Harmonium,Drum,Couteau citari. Nepali, Indian
106. Dance to Foreigners
107. Damyan Music / Nawang Tsering. Lute, Damyan
108. Dance Song / Nawang Tsering, Female singers. Lute,Damyan
109. Song by Ang Dawa / Ang Dawa
110. Song by Puhrkeepa / Puhrkeepa
111. Tibetan Song by Me La / Me La
201. Tibetan Begging Song / Nakpa. Drum,Bell,Tiboo,Dalu,Damaru
202. Song by Tile Tolma / Tile Tolma
203. Song by Rema Gealchen / Rema Gealchen
204. Song by Soltu Ma / Soltu Ma
205. Flame Shrine: Conch and Drum / Sumduch, Unabsong. Conch,Drum
207. Nepali Love Song / Sunimayan, Indraman Serchan, Govindman Serchan. Violin,Drum
208. Tibetan Folk Tune / Govindman Serchan. Violin
209. Nepali Song / Tiki Devi. Couteau citari,Bells,Tabla,Drum
210. Damyan Music / Prasad Tulachen. Couteau citari,Damyan
211. Newari Song / Susila Kansakar
FE 4101 Folkways Records
Smithsonian Institution, Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage, Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections, 600 Maryland Ave., S.W., Suite 2001, Washington, D.C. 20024. Call 202-633-7322 for appointment. Fax: 202-633-7019. Email: email@example.com
Bote (Nepalese people)
Sherpa (Nepalese people)
Newar (Nepalese people)
Sercham, Purna Prasad
Serchan, Tan Prasad
Restrictions & Rights
Restrictions on access
Songs and music
1 phonograph record : analog, 33 1/3 rpm ; 12 in
Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections
Folk songs, Nepali
Folk dance music
Usage conditions apply