Purple Heart medal awarded posthumously to Tuskegee Airman 2d Lt. James McCullin
Social Media Share Tools
- Issued by
- United States Armed Forces, American, founded 1775
- Received by
- Second Lieutenant James L. McCullin, American, 1919 - 1943
- Subject of
- Tuskegee Airmen, 1941 - 1946
- 99th Pursuit Squadron, American, 1941 - 1949
- A Purple Heart medal and case awarded posthumously to Tuskegee Airmen 2 Lt. James McCullin.
- A Purple Heart medal. The medal is purple and heart-shaped with a gold border. There is a raised profile of George Washington in the center of the medal. At the top of the medal there is a small white shield with three red stars above two red horizontal lines. On either side of the shield is a green vine with leaves. There is a purple ribbon with white border attached to the medal at the top. On the back of the medal is the inscription: [FOR / MILITARY / MERIT/ JAMES L. / MCCULLIN]. The dedication is in raised gold letters and the name is etched into the medal.
- A case for a Purple Heart. The outside of the case is dark-colored with gold-colored designs along edges. The top of the case also has gold-colored designs creating two squares. The case opens to a 90 degree angle from hinges on the back short edge. In center of the top of the case gold letters read: [PURPLE HEART]. The interior of the case is lined with yellow fabric. The fabric in the top part of the case looks like satin and the bottom part of the case the fabric looks like velvet.
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift from the McCullin Family, in memory of Second Lieutenant James L. McCullin
- after 1943
- Object number
- Restrictions & Rights
- No Known Copyright Restrictions
- Proper usage is the responsibility of the user.
- cases (containers)
- cardboard , paper, metal and ribbon
- H x W (Medal): 3 × 1 3/8 × 3/16 in. (7.6 × 3.5 × 0.5 cm)
- H x W x D (Closed): 1 x 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 in. (2.5 x 8.9 x 16.5 cm)
- H x W x D (Open): 7 x 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 in. (17.8 x 8.9 x 16.5 cm)
- See more items in
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Collection
- Awards and Medals
- Double Victory: The African American Military Experience
- On View
- NMAAHC (1400 Constitution Ave NW), National Mall Location, Community/Third Floor, 3 053
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- African American
- Tuskegee Airmen
- World War II
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.