Social Media Share Tools
- This large orchid is named for a British botanist and head of the British Museum in the 1800s.
- Bloom Time (Northern Hemisphere)
- July to January; peaks from July to August
- From a cultivated plant not of known wild origin
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Life Form
- Bloom Characteristics
- Erect to recurved inflorescence is 3.2-12" (8.1-30.5 cm) long with many yellow flowers. Flowers are .75" (2.2 cm) across.
- Ivory Coast to Eritrea and Zambia
- Open and riverine forests; 2950-6560ft (900-2000m)
- See more items in
- Smithsonian Gardens Orchid Collection
- Common Name
- Bennett's Polystachya
- [vascular plants]
- Smithsonian Gardens
- Living Collections
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.