Pink Note–The Novelette
Social Media Share Tools
- James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903)
- A girl seated on a bed, reading; signed with the butterfly at right edge on bedcover.
- Previous custodian or owner
- Henry Studdy Theobald (1847-1934) (C.L. Freer source)
- Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919)
- To 1902
- Henry Studdy Theobald (1847-1934), London, to 1902 
- From 1902 to 1919
- Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Henry Studdy Theobald in 1902 
- From 1920
- Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
-  See Original Whistler List, Purchases from Thoebald, pg. 4, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. See also, Voucher No. 1, August 1902,
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
-  See note 1.
-  The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles Lang Freer
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Watercolor on paper
- H x W: 25.3 x 15.5 cm (9 15/16 x 6 1/8 in)
- United States
- Related Online Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Whistler in Watercolor
- See more items in
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Collection
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- United States
- American Art
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.