Peace of Mind Comes to Me
- Ira Blount
- While the content of this calligraphy image shares artist Ira Blount’s philosophy on crafting, the handwriting itself is a work of art. The text reads, “Peace of mind comes to me through making things with my hands. An added bonus comes if my efforts inspire others to try the creative process.” Note the even lettering and spacing, the brown branches covering the bottom of the image that grow up either side, and the dramatic capital "P" painted with blue ink. These details utilize form to visually illustrate his quote.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- ink on paper
- Mat: 15 15/16 × 19 15/16 in. (40.5 × 50.6 cm)
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.