Oxcarts, Rome, Italy
- Samuel Colman, American, 1832–1920
- Catalogue Status
- Research in Progress
- Recto: Horizontal view divided into two areas: at top left a standing ox shown obliquely from the right shoulder and at top right another ox shown from the left back standing beside a cart laden with straw (?) as a cover extends from the front toward the middle before a slightly sketched background; at the bottom is a covered and laden cart, shown slightly obliquely from the right back, with tow crouching oxen.
- Verso in opposite direction: a distant view of two or three woman washing is visible in the center of the foreground below an elevation with trees, probably cypresses. A wall with a palm tree behind its right corner is visible in the left foreground. Two palms and other trees rise in the middleground. Framing lines at the bottom. Lower half of the paper is empty.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. Samuel Colman
- January 1873
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Object Name
- Recto: Graphite, brush and white gouache on rough brown paper Verso: Graphite on rough brown paper
- place depicted
- Rome, Italy
- See more items in
- Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum Collection
- Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design Department
- Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.