Overshoe, Left, Lunar EV, Apollo
- General Electric Co.
- ILC Industries Inc.
- This overshoe is part of a pair that was made for astronaut training purposes prior to the Apollo lunar missions.
- The International Latex Corporation made the boots which were part of Cernan's extra-vehicular (EV) equipment. The EV boots were worn over the boots that were integrated into the spacesuit and which included the pressure bladder and thermal coverings. The boots were made with a silicone sole, woven stainless steel uppers (Chromel-R), and included additional layers of thermal protection and beta felt in the soles as protection against extreme temperatures and sharp rocks on the lunar surface.
- Transferred from NASA - Johnson Space Center in 1975
- Credit Line
- Found in collection. Donor unknown at this time. Found on NASM premises.
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- PERSONAL EQUIPMENT-Footwear
- Exterior: Beta cloth, Chromel-R, Velcro, silicone rubber/compound, steel
- Interior: Beta cloth
- Clothing: 33 x 17.8 x 19.7cm (13 in. x 7 in. x 7 3/4 in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)