Old Glory flag

  • images for Old Glory flag-thumbnail 1
  • images for Old Glory flag-thumbnail 2
Data Source
National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center
Credit Line
Mary J. D. Roland
Physical Description
bunting (overall material)
Measurements
overall: 202 1/2 in x 110 in; 514.35 cm x 279.4 cm
See more items in
Armed Forces History: Armed Forces History, General
Military
Civil War
Description
The name "Old Glory" was loudly proclaimed in 1824 by Captain William Driver as he hoisted the flag given to him as a birthday present. The flag would accompany Driver on his numerous voyages around the world. When he gave up seafaring and moved inland to Nashville, Tennessee in 1837, Driver continued to display the flag proudly by hanging it from a locust tree. He even updated the flag in 1861 to reflect thirty-four stars and added an anchor in the corner to indicate his sea service. When Tennessee seceded from the Union, Driver had the foresight to hide the flag and had his daughter conceal it inside a quilt, which was overlooked in numerous raids on his house. Old Glory remained in the quilt until February 25, 1862 when Ulysses S. Grant captured Fort Donelson and occupied Nashville. On that day Driver uncovered the flag, marched through the streets to the capitol building, climbed to its dome, and hoisted the flag for all to see.
Location
Currently not on view
associated place
United States
date made
1824
associated date
1862-02- 25
Object Name
flag
ID Number
AF.32605
catalog number
32605
accession number
69281