Flag, Barbie, Miss Astronaut
- Mattel, Inc.
- This American flag is an accessory for the Miss Astronaut silver spacesuit created by Mattel in 1965.
- Invented by Mattel Toys co-founder Ruth Handler in 1958, Barbie dolls were conceived as a toy that would allow children to play with a doll of an adult woman, not a baby or child/companion. As such, Barbie dolls allowed their owners to act out the life of a "single career girl." In the history of this immensely-popular and iconic toy, the Barbie doll has taken on several aviation- and space-themed jobs, including several versions of Barbie as a stewardess, astronaut, or pilot. Ironically, Barbie's role as "Miss Astronaut" with her Project Mercury-style silver spacesuit, came years before women became a part of NASA's astronaut corps in 1978.
- This doll and costume was donated to the Museum by Mattel in 1995.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mattel, Inc., El Segundo, CA
- ca. 1964
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- MEMORABILIA-Popular Culture
- Synthetic fabric, wood
- 3-D: 5.1 x 8.9cm (2 x 3 1/2 in.)
- Country of Origin
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined