All Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C., including the National Zoo, and in New York City continue to be closed to support the effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Nepal Royal Nepal Airlines Flight to Enchantment
- G. N. Rimal (?)
- Royal Nepal Airlines, founded 1958
- Physical Description
- NEPAL ROYAL NEPAL AIRLINES FLIGHT TO ENCHANTMENT. Color photographic print advertising air travel to Nepal. Image on a dark blue background reproduces a page from a manuscript illustrating a religious scene; Offset Photolithograph.
- Fly Now: The National Air and Space Museum Poster Collection
- Throughout their history, posters have been a significant means of mass communication, often with striking visual effect. Wendy Wick Reaves, the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery Curator of Prints and Drawings, comments that "sometimes a pictorial poster is a decorative masterpiece-something I can't walk by without a jolt of aesthetic pleasure. Another might strike me as extremely clever advertising … But collectively, these 'pictures of persuasion,' as we might call them, offer a wealth of art, history, design, and popular culture for us to understand. The poster is a familiar part of our world, and we intuitively understand its role as propaganda, promotion, announcement, or advertisement."
- Reaves' observations are especially relevant for the impressive array of aviation posters in the National Air and Space Museum's 1300+ artifact collection. Quite possibly the largest publicly-held collection of its kind in the United States, the National Air and Space Museum's posters focus primarily on advertising for aviation-related products and activities. Among other areas, the collection includes 19th-century ballooning exhibition posters, early 20th-century airplane exhibition and meet posters, and twentieth-century airline advertisements.
- The posters in the collection represent printing technologies that include original lithography, silkscreen, photolithography, and computer-generated imagery. The collection is significant both for its aesthetic value and because it is a unique representation of the cultural, commercial and military history of aviation. The collection represents an intense interest in flight, both public and private, during a significant period of its technological and social development.
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- ART-Posters, Original Art Quality
- Poster, Advertising, Commercial Aviation
- 3-D (Unframed): 76.8 × 51.4cm (2 ft. 6 1/4 in. × 1 ft. 8 1/4 in.)
- Country of Origin
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined