Missile, Air-to-Air, Drone and Test, Gorgon IV, also Designated KUM-1 or PVT-N-2

images for Missile, Air-to-Air, Drone and Test, Gorgon IV, also Designated KUM-1 or PVT-N-2
Summary
The subsonic, ramjet-powered, air-launched Gorgon IV was developed in 1946 as an air-to-surface missile. The Glenn L. Martin Company modified several Gorgon IV models for use as target drones, however, for launch from standard Mk 51 bomb racks under a P-61 aircraft. The Gorgon IV was considered the U.S.'s first successful ramjet missile, although it never became operational.
Twelve test flights of the Gorgon IV were made at the Naval Air Missile Test Center, Point Mugu, California. The tests went well and by late 1948 the Navy began fitting the USS Norton Sound for trials for launching the missile the deck, but the project was cancelled in 1949. The missile shown here appears to have been flown and recovered. It was donated to the Smithsonian in 1966 by the U.S. Navy.
Alternate Name
Gorgon IV Target Drone
National Air and Space Museum
Rights
Do not reproduce without permission from the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum
Manufacturer
Martin Co.
Credit Line
Gift of U.S. Navy
Materials
Overall, aluminum, Alcoa sheets ALCLAD 2451, D245-T; Formica or other plastic component, small square, on right side, near nose [when missile faces front], with steel bolts securing this component to missile; two white fabric strips or belts, for securing electronic components, also on right side of missile, near nose, these strips each with steel buckle; identical straps on opposite side of missile; individual lead weights at front of missile, on both sides; electrical wire along right side, near front, with brown plastic insulation, the number 85 printed on it in black; dynamotor, on right side, near nose, steel; adjacent strip of eight screws, with cut wires attached, wires with white fabric or plastic insulation; many wire bundles, with white plastic insulation, on top of missile, before warhead, and above the number 19; some flush screws on wings, steel; flush rivets on wings, aluminum; torpedo-shaped pods, red, on end of each front wing, non-ferrous metal, possibly aluminum; wooden blunt nose on each of these pods, secured by steel screws; nosecone, aluminum; aluminum piping of top of ramjet; ramjet proper, non-ferrous metal; tape, tan, very faded, along several places of the fuselage, and also around opening of ramjet, in back of missile, under wing in front and underneath nose of ramjet; possibly small copper component, on right side of missile, near front, since this component is of dark green color, characteristic of deteriorated copper
Dimensions
Overall: 22 ft. 3/4 in. long x 1 ft. 10 in. diameter x 10 ft. 1 1/2 in. wing span, 800 lb. (672.47 x 55.88 x 308.61cm, 362.9kg)
See more items in
National Air and Space Museum Collection
Location
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA
Hangar
James S. McDonnell Space Hangar
Country of Origin
United States of America
ca. 1946
Type
CRAFT-Missiles & Rockets
Inventory Number
A19660158000