Knife, Astronaut Survival
- This is a duplicate of a hand-wrought survival knife made by the Randall Knives Co., a maker of speciality knives of all types. One was carried as equipment on Alan Shepard's "Freedom 7" suborbital Mercury mission on May 5, 1961. On this flight, Shepard became the first American, and second human (after Yuri Gagarin), in space. The original survival knife was lost when the hatch was jettisoned after landing in the Atlantic Ocean.
- W.D. Randall, Jr., gave this knife to the Smithsonian.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mr. W.D. Randall, Jr.
- Inventory Number
- W. D. Randall Jr.
- Restrictions & Rights
- Steel, leather, micarta
- 3-D: 24.1 × 8.3 × 2.5cm (9 1/2 × 3 1/4 × 1 in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage