Model, Pioneer Venus Orbiter, 1:24 Scale
- Hughes Aircraft Co.
- This is a 1/24th scale model of the Pioneer Venus Orbiter, which entered orbit around Venus on December 4, 1978. Along with its multiprobe carrier, Pioneer Venus made simultaneous measurements of the planet. From orbit, the Pioneer Venus spacecraft used instruments mounted on the forward end of its cylinder, as well as a magnetometer on a 4.7 m boom to take measurements of the atmosphere, magnetosphere, and other attributes of Venus. Pioneer Venus remained in orbit after its primary mission had ended. In 1991 its radar mapper was reactivated to investigate previously inaccessible southern portions of the planet. In May 1992 the spacecraft began the final phase of its mission investigating the Venusian atmosphere, where it was destroyed in August 1992.
- The Hughes Aircraft Company donated this to the Museum in 1975.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Hughes Aircraft Co.
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- MODELS-Unmanned Spacecraft & Parts
- Plastic, mylar, metal, paper, kapton
- Approximate: 15.24 x 10.8cm (6in. x 4 1/4in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)