Model, Pioneer Venus Multi-probe, 1:24 Scale
- Hughes Aircraft Co.
- This 1/24th scale model of the Pioneer Venus Multiprobe documents a mission flown to Venus by NASA in 1978. The Multiprobe consisted of a bus that carried one large and three small atmospheric probes. The large probe was released on November 16, 1978, and the three small probes on November 20. All four probes entered the Venus atmosphere on December 9, followed by the Bus. Two Small Probes entered on the nightside and a Small Probe and this Large Probe entered on the dayside of Venus. The spacecraft Bus entered the atmosphere and obtained atmospheric composition data until burn-up. The instrumentation emphasized the study of the structure and composition of Venus's thick atmosphere down to the surface, the nature and composition of the planet's clouds, the radiation field and energy exchange in the lower atmosphere, and information on atmospheric circulation patterns.
- The Hughes Aircraft Company donated this to the Museum in 1975.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Hughes Aircraft Co.
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- MODELS-Unmanned Spacecraft & Parts
- Plastic, epoxy, paint, paper, kapton
- Approximate: 10.16 x 10.8cm (4in. x 4 1/4in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)