Medal, Commemorative, Friendship 7, Spacecraft Medals
- Spacecraft Medals, Inc.
- This John Glenn commemorative medal was struck by Spacecraft Medals, Inc. On February 20, 1962, John Glenn became the first American to orbit the earth. In his Friendship 7 capsule he orbited the Earth three times in a flight that lasted a little less than five hours. It was the third human spaceflight of the Project Mercury program, and the one that established American parity with the Soviet achievement of human orbital flights.
- Space medal collector Thomas Becker donated this medal to the National Collection in 1972.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Thomas Becker
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- 3-D: 3.8cm (1 1/2 in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA
- James S. McDonnell Space Hangar
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)