Medal, Commemorative, Apollo 13
- Constantino Affer
- This Apollo 13 commemorative medal was designed by the Italian sculptor, Constantino Affer. The high relief on the medal's face and the absence of much content on the reverse highlight the artist's intention to make this piece of medallic art work as a miniature sculpture.
- The Apollo 13 mission in April 1970 was intended to be the third to land humans on the Moon. James Lovell, Jr., Fred Haise, Jr., and John Swigert, Jr. were the astronauts. Over 200,000 miles from the Earth equipment malfunctions forced the cancellation of the mission, but the astronauts were able to return safely.
- Space medal collector Thomas Becker donated this art medal to the Museum in 1972.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Thomas Becker
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- 3-D: 5.1cm (2 in.)
- Country of Origin
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA
- James S. McDonnell Space Hangar
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)