Jersey worn by Carl Lewis at the 1984 Summer Olympics
Social Media Share Tools
- Manufactured by
- Kappa, Italian, founded 1916
- Worn by
- Carl Lewis, American, born 1961
- Red mesh tank top jersey worn by Carl Lewis at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. The tank top straps and the u-neckline are trimmed with a silver fabric. The proper right strap has the Kappa logo screen-printed in white and outlined in blue. It features the silhouette of a man and a woman sitting back to back with their knees bent. [USA] is screen-printed in white with a blue outline across the chest.
- Both sides of the jersey have three stripes going down the center- white on the outer edges and red in the center. The lines are interrupted by four blue squares, starting directly under the arm holes. The blue squares contain the Kappa logo in white.
- The back of the jersey is a solid red mesh. There are no distinguishing words, logos, etc.
- On the inside of the jersey on the proper left there is an unidentifiable black, white, and blue label. On the proper right there is a manufacturer's label: [Kappa Sport/MADE IN ITALY] with the Kappa logo in red. The reverse has cleaning information and says [100% NYLON].
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Carl Lewis Estate
- Object number
- Restrictions & Rights
- No Known Copyright Restrictions
- Proper usage is the responsibility of the user.
- sports uniforms
- nylon and ink
- L x W (Measured flat): 27 1/4 x 16 3/4 in. (69.2 x 42.5 cm)
- H x W x D (Measured on form): 25 x 13 1/4 x 8 1/2 in. (63.5 x 33.7 x 21.6 cm)
- Place used
- Los Angeles, California, United States, North and Central America
- See more items in
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Collection
- Sports: Leveling the Playing Field
- On View
- NMAAHC (1400 Constitution Ave NW), National Mall Location, Community/Third Floor, 3 052
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- African American
- Clothing and dress
- Track and field
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.