All Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C., including the National Zoo, and in New York City continue to be closed to support the effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Home Rule Charter, Yes!
- This button was used in a 1974 referendum campaign encouraging residents of the District of Columbia to vote for the Home Rule Charter. The campaign’s success shifted some powers from Congress to local government and established Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, which represented smaller sections of the city and informed decisions on the specific needs of each community. By wearing a button like this and advocating for greater self-government, campaigners and citizens brought the power of choice to Washington, D.C. communities.
- Cite As
- Anacostia Community Museum, Smithsonian Institution.
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- metal, paper, plastic
- 1 9/16 × 1 9/16 × 1/8 in. (4 × 4 × 0.3 cm)
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (Object Detail Text)