Are Years What? (for Marianne Moore)
Social Media Share Tools
- Mark di Suvero, American, b. Shanghai, China, 1933
- The artist
- Enrico Martignoni, Winnemucca, Nevada, to 25 August 1999
- Joseph H. Hirshhorn Purchase Fund and Gift of the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, by exchange, 1999
- Exhibition History
- ALBRIGHT-KNOX ART GALLERY, Buffalo. "Plus by Minus," 1968.
- GRAND RAPIDS ART MUSEUM, Michigan (organizer). "Sculpture off the Pedestal," 8 September-3 December 1973, cat. (Citywide exhibition of large-scale outdoor sculpture by thirteen American artists.)
- WHITNEY MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART, New York. "Mark di Suvero," 13 November 1975-8 February 1976, no. 38, p. 87. (Installed in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, New York.)
- WURTTEMBERGISCHER KUNSTVEREIN, Stuttgart. "Mark di Suvero," 11 May-10 July 1988, p. 217, ill. pp. 86-87.
- MUSEE D'ART MODERNE ET D'ART CONTEMPORAIN, Nice. "Mark di Suvero Retrospective," 1991, p. 14, p. 140, ill. pp. 13, 16, 20.
- IVAM CENTRE JULIO GONZALEZ, Valencia. "Mark di Suvero," 16 December 1994-19 March 1995, p. 24, 36, ill.
- XLVI INTERNATIONAL ART EXHIBITION, VENICE BIENNALE. "Mark di Suvero," 11 June-15 October 1995, no. 5, ill.
- STORM KING ART CENTER, Mountainville, New York. "Mark di Suvero at Storm King Art Center," 13 May-15 November 1995 and 1 April-15 November 1996, ills., p. 31, 128.
- GALERIE JEANNE-BUCHER, Paris. "Mark di Suvero," 1997, p. 8, ill.
- SAN FRANCISCO MUSEUM OF MODERN ART (organizer only). “Mark di Suvero.” Tour: CRISSY FIELD, San Francisco, 22 May 2013-26 May 2014. (Exhibition of eight large-scale outdoor sculptures.)
- Published References
- UNSIGNED. Advertisement, "Mark Di Suvero: 25 Years of Sculpture and Drawings, Storm King Art Center," Art in America 73 (June 1985), n.p.
- UNSIGNED. Advertisement, "Mark Di Suvero: 25 Years of Sculpture and Drawings, Storm King Art Center," Artforum 23 (Summer 1985), n.p.
- KARDON, JANET. 1967 at the Crossroads (Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania, 1987), ill., n.p.
- UNSIGNED. Advertisement, "Richard Bellamy/Oil & Steel Gallery and Gagosian Gallery," Art in America, 85 (November 1997), n.p.
- UNSIGNED. "Mark di Suvero: Mairie de Paris," Artforum (January 1998), p. 109.
- RUBINSTEIN, RAPHAEL. "A Season of Steel in the City of Light," Art in America (July 1998), p. 69, ill. p. 68.
- UNSIGNED. "Hirshhorn's Mall Sculpture Steels the Show," Washington Times (26 August 1999), P. C7.
- RICHARD, PAUL. "Here and Now," Washington Post (29 August 1999), p. G3.
- FORGEY, BENJAMIN. "Cityscape: Splendor on the Grass," Washington Post (15 October 1999), p. C1, color ill.
- GARRELS, GARY, ed. Celebrating Modern Art: The Anderson Collection (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2000), ill., n.p.
- ESKIN, BLAKE. "Man of Steel," Art News 100, no. 6 (June 2001), p. 91.
- ELLEGOOD, ANNE and JOANNA BURTON. The Uncertainty of Objects and Ideas: Recent Sculpture (Washington, DC: Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, 2006), ill. p. 61.
- AQUIN, STEPHANE, et al. Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden: The Collection (New York: DelMonico Books, 2022), pl. 123, p. 140.
- Credit Line
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Joseph H. Hirshhorn Purchase Fund and Gift of the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, by exchange, 1999
- Accession Number
- Steel, paint, and wire
- 480 × 480 × 360 in. (1219.2 × 1219.2 × 914.4 cm)
- See more items in
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Collection
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.